Monday 5 October 2009

A Realisation

It's been a while since I updated this blog, but here I am. I've been largely busy with trying to get into the GB Squad in fencing, which has been very challenging. I've been going to several competitions, trying to improve and do my best, and I've hardly been to NAF at all. After this last comp. that I've got back from, I've realised something about fencing.
Fencing isn't all about squads, or how good you are. It's about enjoying the sport, living each fight for the thrill of the moment, having a good time, and HAVING FUN. Ever since I started trying to get into the squad, none of these things were happening. I was panicking with each point, and more focused on doing well and earning points than enjoying myself. But since I realised that I get more pleasure from club fencing, that's what I'm going to do more of. You don't have to be in a squad to be told that you have potential, or that you can fence well. People around you can tell you that, and you will know that you can fence at some point. I think that after realising this, I'm going to stop trying to get into the squad, and just have a great time with my fencing. That's where the satisfaction lies.

No comments: