Monday 6 July 2009

Sportsmanship and Fencers

I think that fencing is one of those sports where sportsmanship is of vital importance. It is essential in my opinion to show respect to everyone; your opponent, the referee and even spectators. Yesterday, I met an opponent at the Suffolk Open who ignored all of these values. I was fencing him in the final, and he did not behave in the best of ways. He argued with the referee or what was basically every alternate point, even when it was as simple as a parry riposte against him, he swore that there had to be a mistake. He claimed that I had hit him in the eye, and that it effected his fencing. I should clear this up now: The hit beforehand had hit him on the shoulder. I know this because I placed the point there deliberately, and the hit registered on target. Even if it did flick upwards to the mask, it would never have landed squarely in the eye, since the point was almost level with the back of his head during my recovery. Add all of that on to the fact that he was WEARING A MASK and you can see why I was disbelieving of that (particularly when a few months ago, the same guy claimed I fleched into him, injuring his shoulder and ruining his fencing arm). He also had the nerve to shout at a woman in the audience, claiming that she had said something that had distracted him, which had meant that his attack had been parry riposted. This claim caused most of the spectators, including the referee and my opponents coach amusingly, to tell him to shut up and keep fencing.
This is probably the only thing about fencing that annoys me. You can meet some really nice people when you fence, and they see fencing as a laugh and a fun hobby. Then you see die-hard fencers who believe that mercy is for the weak and to win by any means necessary is fair play. I like to think that I am someone who enjoys fencing as a hobby, and I am friendly when club-fencing, but I also try to be friendly at competitions, and talk to the nervous ones. Yesterday for example, people were introducing themselves to me, and I made some new friends. My final opponent, however, talked to his coach, and told anybody who would listen (which wasn't that many people to be honest) his game plan, and how he would make it to the final. Some people are just annoying, and see fencing as a serious sport. It can be at times, but you have to realise that it isn't restricted to that. It can be a lot of fun as well, and that's what I enjoy about it. It's a hobby as well as a sport. So, it is sort of ironic that the thing about fencing that annoys me is the fencers themselves. Not all of them, I hastily add. Most fencers are kind and respectful of other people. There are only a select few who are not like this.
While I am writing, I would like to thank Joseph Igali for supporting me, and also congratulate him for doing extremely well consistently throughout the day. Good on you!

2 comments:

Dave said...

Chris, you have just the right attitude in my opinion. As for your opponent, he perceives the Force as much as a spoon perceives the taste of food....

Chris said...

Like it! Philosophical, hilarious, and totally true.