Monday 11 May 2009

Changing Times

Yesterday, I was asked to preside for the U12 team competition. I agreed, and watched a variety of fencers battling it out on the piste. Refereeing is quite a good thing to do, because it helps you to understand how to preside (obviously), but it also shows you a different range of styles and techniques. Unfortunately, the U12 teams were more or less lacking in technique. It seemed to be hit hit hit all the time. However, there were a fair few who were evidently trying to make the best of it. What I find quite annoying in competitions is the fact that people with bad technique seem to win more often than those who are actually 'worthy' of a victory. It's annoying, but we've got to learn to live with it unfortunately. There was a girl there, who seemed quite unfazed by all the points going against her; she was attempting to hit with good technique, which I thought was just brilliant. The only bad side of watching all of these people fence made me realise I wanted to fence. I began to suffer from withdrawal after two hours, and I had to remind myself to stop lunging with the size three foils. I fenced at the end, so that was fine.
I'm going to be away for a good few weeks, since I've got my GCSE's coming up. Coming up very fast. So, I'm going to have to get stuck into revision, and hope that it all works out. See you soon!

No comments: